Grant applicants must agree to the Foundation's reporting and monitoring requirements as outlined below in order to be considered for a grant award.
1. Agreement that your organization will provide by email in Word format within two weeks of the Foundation notifying your organization of its grant award a brief written description of your organization and summary of your funded case for the Foundation to place on is website and blog or other online postings.
2. Agreement to discuss quarterly by telephone the progress of your grant funded case with the Foundation.
3. Agreement to submit a Six-Month Report with the progress of your grant funded case no later than April 15th of the year following the date of the award of the grant. This short report -- no longer than two pages -- details the status and progress of the case over the first six months of the grant period (October 1st – March 30th) and is submitted in conjunction with the Second Quarter Timesheet (see #6 below). The Six-Month Report, which will be posted on the Foundation’s website, should include:
1. A summary of the general direction/progress of the case.
2. Significant decisions in the case, including attachments.
3. Progress anticipated in the next six months.
4. Links to media coverage, if any, of the case.
5. Photos, if any, of the case for which the Foundation has permission to use in its electronic and published materials, with descriptions and attributions.
6. Names of attorney(s) whom the Foundation can contact if the Foundation requires further information.
4. Agreement to submit a Year-End Report on the anniversary date of the award of the grant but no later than October 15th of the year following the date of the award of the grant. This short report -- no longer than two pages -- details the status and progress of the case over the second six months of the grant period (April 1st – September 30th) and is submitted in conjunction with the Fourth Quarter Timesheet (see #6 below). The Year-End Report, which will be posted on the Foundation’s website, should address the six items required in the Six-Month Report, as outlined above.
If a grant will be sought for the subsequent year then the Year-End Report must be submitted by August 1st. If that report is not submitted by August 1st, a grant for the subsequent year will not be considered.
5. Agreement to submit a First-Quarter Report and a Third-Quarter Report with a brief update – no longer than two paragraphs – on the status of the case for which the grant was given with any timely and noteworthy updates from the preceding quarter. These reports, submitted in conjunction with the First-and-Third-Quarter Timesheets, respectively (see #14 below), will be shared via the Foundation’s website and social media accounts.
6. Agreement to submit a quarterly timesheet with the daily time records of the previous quarter’s work on the grant funded case. The timesheet should be submitted in spreadsheet and include:
(1) hours worked each day by tenths of an hour by each attorney who worked on the case for which the grant was received
(2) description of each task performed by that attorney
(3) date that the work by that attorney was performed
(4) hourly billing rate for that attorney
(5) total hours worked and total time charges for the case for the preceding quarter
A sample time sheet can be found here. This information allows the Foundation to see how its grant funds were being utilized and attributed to the case for which the grant was awarded.
The timesheets span the one-year period from the date of the grant ward beginning on October 1st and ending on September 30th and are submitted in the following schedule:
1. First Quarter Timesheet, covering the first quarter of the grant, October 1st – December 31st, is due January 15th:
2. Second Quarter Timesheet, covering the second quarter of the grant, January 1st – March 31st, is due April 15th.
3. Third Quarter Timesheet, covering the third quarter of the grant, April 1st – June 30th, is due July 15th.
4. Fourth Quarter Timesheet, covering the fourth quarter of the grant, July 1st – September 30th, is due October 15th.
7. Agreement that all funds not spent on the case for which the grant was awarded, as demonstrated by the time records submitted to the Foundation, will be returned to the Foundation by October 31st following the end of the grant year cycle.
8. Agreement that, in the event that the Grantee violates or fails to carry out any provision of this Agreement, the Foundation may demand, in addition to any other legal remedies it may have, the return of part or all of the unexpended grant funds, which the Grantee shall repay to the Foundation within 15 business days of receiving written notice from the Foundation.
9. Agreement to return and to recoupment by the Foundation of the grant funds should the case for which the grant was given not proceed in a significant way and to inform the Foundation within 21 days of this occurrence unless the Foundation agrees after such notice to fund another case to replace the case for which the grant was given. The Grantee agrees to return the grant funds within 15 days business days after receiving a written request from the Foundation.
10. Agreement to complete and sign the Grant Agreement (found here) within 15 business days of receiving notice from the Foundation of the award of the grant and return to the Foundation by PDF and first class mail the signed Grant Agreement within that 15-day period. Upon receipt of the completed and signed Grant Agreement, the Foundation will sign the Grant Agreement and return a copy to the grantee.
11. Agreement that after the grant year cycle is completed to provide thereafter the Foundation by email in Word format with written update(s) on the progress of the grant-funded case within 21 days of the Foundation’s request where such request will be made no more frequently than once a year.